The following announcement was written by Findmypast:
Explore First World War Rolls of Honour covering Caribbean troops who served with the British Army, new Kent parish records and a host of newspaper updates this Findmypast Friday.
Caribbean Rolls of Honour WW1
Trace military ancestors and their incredible stories in our new Caribbean Rolls of Honour. The records list soldiers from Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago who served with the British Armed Forces during World War 1.
For Jamaica, which provided the largest Caribbean contingent to the British and Allied war effort, there are records for army officers from, or connected with, the island as well as NCOs and other ranks who lost their lives in the conflict. For Trinidad & Tobago, the collection is more complete and comprehensive. It is believed to contain the great majority of men who served in the War, including some who served with the French Army.
As well as soldiers of Afro-Caribbean descent, there are men from the Indian Sub-continent, presumably in most cases the descendants of indentured labourers, as well as men of Latino and Jewish heritage.
Releases for other islands in the Caribbean will be added to this collection over time.
Over 7,000 parish baptisms covering Sutton-at-Hone, Woolwich and St Mary Cray have been added to the collection. Explore these transcripts and images of original church registers to discover new Kent family milestones.
Baptism records are essential for getting further in your family tree. They can reveal your ancestors' names, birth and baptism dates, where they lived and importantly, their parents' details.
Was your ancestor laid to rest in Kent? Discover where and when they were buried with over 5,000 new burials from the parishes of Eltham and Thames & Medway.
Findmypast is home to one of the most comprehensive collections of Kent family records online. You can also delve into marriages and banns, wills and probate indexes and poor law union records from the Garden of England.
This week, we’ve released four brand new papers and added more pages to 10 publications.
The latest titles to join our expanding archive include:
- Civil & Military Gazette (Pakistan) covering 1884 and 1891-1893
- Indian Statesman covering 1876
- Weekly Dispatch (London) covering 1820-1829, 1831-1850 and 1852-1868
- Kilrush Herald and Kilkee Gazette covering 1879-1880, 1889-1899, 1901-1919 and 1921-1922
And we've added even more issues to:
- Huddersfield Daily Chronicle from 1883
- Lloyd’s Weekly Newspaper from 1894 and 1901-1912
- Dundee Courier from 1989
- Cambridgeshire Times from 1872
- Carmarthen Journal from 1841
- Derby Daily Telegraph from 1990
- Daily Mirror from 1994 and 1998-1999
- Sligo Chronicle from 1880-1891
- Marylebone Mercury from 1933, 1935 and 1938
- Tralee Chronicle from 1881